The 3 key elements to create a movement or community are:
- Clear Purpose
- Call to action.
In terms of building an on-line community, I normally use the same elements from above and power them with some tech and social media tools. Below some tips about how to create an on-line community :
1/. Create awareness around your purpose and believes.
- Copyright: having a well written purpose and a set of powerful disruptive messages is extremely important.
- Design: design is perhaps one the most important elements to create awareness. Make sure to have beautiful design to communicate your messages.
- Video: creating good video content that captures your company's purpose in a fun way is also important. i.e. Holstee manifesto
- Technology: use platforms like Quora and other specialized blogs to find people that care about your cause. The more you blog, the more empathy you will gain from the community.
2/. Use a platform that can allow you to connect:
- Members of the movement with each other.
- Movement members with you (the movement admin) and vice versa.
- Movement with people outside of the movement and vice versa.
Here are some ideas about how to do this:
- Make your own site: It’s very easy believe me! You can use platforms such as Strikingly or Square Space to design your own site in less than an hour.
- Social Media: Facebook groups are extremely easy to create and everybody in on FB. Also, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat are great tools to get your word out.
- Specialized platforms: I personally love Thunderclap and Change.org.
3/. Call to action
Have a clear call to actions that are easy to execute by any member of the community.
- Gamification: Think as if you were creating a video game where you have different levels (easy, medium, advanced.)
- Also, rewards are extremely important! Movement members love to be featured for their actions.
4/. Final tips
People are not dumb, if you are going to create a community, you should be:
Finally but not least, Purpose and Avaaz are two of my favorite organizations on the movement building scene. I strongly suggest you to take a look of their awesome work to have clear examples of successful movements in action and well-develop methodologies.
Now go and build a movement that you care about.
The world needs you to lead us!!